Forums    Register    Login    My Profile    Inbox   Address Book    My Subscription    My Forums  Features  
Member List    Search      FAQ    Ticket List    Terms of Use   Anonymity   Privacy Policy   Log Out    IRI Site Map

How do i start a Pallet business?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PalletBoard Forums] >> PalletBoard - Main Forum >> How do i start a Pallet business? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do i start a Pallet business? - 7/12/2006 6:26:34 PM   
So Cal pallet

Hello board,
  I'm looking to start a Pallet business in southern California.  With a potential location 40 miles east of Los Angeles.  I'm looking to build, repair, buy and sell Pallets.  Where do I start? Where do I buy the pre-cut lumber, nailing equipment? I need employees, experienced employees and management.  Please help with ideas, suggestions and personal experience.  Also if your in the area and would like to be part of the team and have know how contact me. 
  thanks board,
  Jr.

< Message edited by So Cal pallet -- 7/18/2006 3:26:22 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: How do i start a Pallet business? - 7/13/2006 1:51:03 AM   
jewel

Question,ever worked at a pallet manufacturing operation.If not,My help,would be do that first.
Post #: 2
RE: How do i start a Pallet business? - 7/13/2006 6:58:52 AM   
Rude Dude

quote:

ORIGINAL: So Cal pallet

Hello board,
  I'm looking to start a Pallet business in southern California.  With a potential location 40 east of Los Angeles.  I'm looking to build, repair, buy and sell Pallets.  Where do I start? Where do I buy the pre-cut lumber, nailing equipment? I need employees, experienced employees and management.  Please help with ideas, suggestions and personal experience.  Also if your in the area and would like to be part of the team and have know how contact me. 
  thanks board,
  Jr.

Some people don't know when a joke isn't funny.
Post #: 3
RE: How do i start a Pallet business? - 7/13/2006 3:38:28 PM   
Gulo

Hey Man, first you need to pick a new name.  So Cal Pallet Company off the 60 may not like you trying to use his name. 

My suggestion is take all the money you think you can lose and donate it to charity.  You will feel good about yourself and it will take you a lot less time.
Post #: 4
RE: How do i start a Pallet business? - 7/14/2006 6:34:23 AM   
Rude Dude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gulo

Hey Man, first you need to pick a new name.  So Cal Pallet Company off the 60 may not like you trying to use his name. 
My suggestion is take all the money you think you can lose and donate it to charity.  You will feel good about yourself and it will take you a lot less time.

You don't think this was a joke?

Slow Cow can't be serious...
Jr doesn't know where to start?
Jr needs employees, experienced employees at that.
Jr doesn't seem to know ANYTHING and needs management.  Jr Pleads for help with ideas, suggestions and personal experience. 

Look cow, why don't I come to Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, La Habra or Rialto (wherever)... start up a pallet company... you work for me until you know what you're doing... then I sell you the company for more than it's worth to make it worth my time.

I still think it's a joke.
Post #: 5
RE: How do i start a Pallet business? - 7/14/2006 7:24:54 AM   
sexy pallets

How do you start a pallet co.?? You don't you get out while you still can ( be afraid be very afraid ) LOL
I just kidding. First you will probly be contacted by salesman from this board for all the supplies you will need if not pick up a copy of Pallet Enterprise. For builders your in Cali you should have no problem, just make sure there all legal. Your only problem is you can't purchase experiance and w/o that in this game you will get srewed. Do you know anything about pallets? What makes you want to start a pallet co. Do you know anybody you can trust w/ any experiance that can help you. W/O any pallet knowledge I would leave this alone for awhile and work at a pallet co. save your money get to know the business.
Post #: 6
RE: How do i start a Pallet business? - 7/18/2006 3:47:08 PM   
So Cal pallet

Hey Wiseguy's,
   Thats my screen name, not the name of the possible business and I'm not a day laborer (rude dude) you couldn't afford me. I'm a business man with capital, with the right people sky 's the limit. and it's a nice tax deduction. You wouldnt know a thing about that.  and name calling on a public board just proves that your below average intelligance hasn't allowed you to achieve too much.

< Message edited by So Cal pallet -- 7/18/2006 3:55:52 PM >
Post #: 7
RE: How do i start a Pallet business? - 7/19/2006 11:59:52 AM   
Rude Dude

quote:

I'm not a day laborer (rude dude) you couldn't afford me. I'm a business man with capital, with the right people sky 's the limit. and it's a nice tax deduction. You wouldnt know a thing about that.  and name calling on a public board just proves that your below average intelligance hasn't allowed you to achieve too much.

Wrong again Jr.

BTW You misspelled intelligence.

IF you were truly the high roller you pretend to be your business acumen would have led you down a different path to develop your business plan.

quote:

Also if your in the area and would like to be part of the team and have know how contact me.  

I also know the difference between your and you're. Contractions are fourth grade material daddy bucks.

You're is a contraction for you are. That would fit your sentence. Now the word you used "your" is about possessing something.

ex. 1 your lack of business acumen
ex. 2 your lack of language skills
ex. 3 your questionable intelligence

quote:

Where do I start?
Where do I buy the pre-cut lumber, nailing equipment?
I need employees, experienced employees and management.  Please help with ideas, suggestions and personal experience. 

That tells your story Jr
Post #: 8
RE: How do i start a Pallet business? - 7/19/2006 12:00:41 PM   
Jack Hammer

Hi So Cal
If your not a day labourer you'll have a long trip trying to make it in this business. If you have capital, you should invest it in energy or metals not pallets! And as for below average intellegence,,,,,,, you seem to be calling the kettle black if you think you can make millions in this business.
Post #: 9
RE: How do i start a Pallet business? - 7/24/2006 8:31:53 AM   
pallets4U

If you are starting a pallet recycling business, the first thing on your list is to find a source for  pallet cores.  Customers will come second.
Post #: 10
RE: How do i start a Pallet business? - 7/25/2006 2:33:11 PM   
Big Dog

Hey So. Cal Guy

You could have made a lot of money in the late 80's and early 90's.  Great idea, wrong time.  Those who have survived the last 10-15 years are the dinosaurs that you cannot get rid of....It is all about having supply.  Those who have it, do a pretty good job of keeping it.  And those that have it, are able to satisfy the needs of their customers.  Too many people have gone out of business and ran out of pallets.  I suggest that you stay away from the market for a while and sit on the fence post and watch how it changes.
Post #: 11
Take a look at what your competition is doing... - 7/25/2006 3:23:38 PM   
Fast Freddie

Hey So Cal, investigate your competitors, buy a pick up truck - $500.00

Pick up 50 standard pallets per day - $50.00 for gas

Sell these 50 pallets per day and make the round of all of the competitors in your area + $100 per day

In 10 days you should be break even and this will tell you alot about the industry in your area.

FF

PS try not to get arrested for flipping skids...advice from a little dawg with bite...

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Fast Freddie -- 7/26/2006 6:02:30 PM >

Fast Freddie
Fred Vrugteveen
Niagara Pallet & Recyclers Ltd.
Moving your Business, one Pallet at a time...
www.niagarapallet.ca
905-386-SKID Ph.
905-386-0387 Fax
Post #: 12
market - 7/25/2006 3:53:45 PM   
jewel

so cal pallet  see if your market can withstand another pallet company. It maybe you could come up with a plain that works. I also,was told to walk away. no market for little dogs. well I still going ahead with my pallet Idea.
Post #: 13
RE: market - 7/26/2006 6:37:04 AM   
sexy pallets

That's right Jewel we are Little Dawgs turning into Big Dawgs all you have to do is want it bad enough. Alot of hard work, long hours, and head aches. I think thats with any business. Talk to you later we are in the middle of a black out I only have a little power.
Post #: 14
RE: market - 7/26/2006 4:24:44 PM   
So Cal pallet

I agree sexy pallets, goodluck jewel, sounds to me like the "big dawgs" are afraid of a little competition.
Post #: 15
RE: market - 7/27/2006 5:31:53 AM   
Jack Hammer

Hi So Cal
Sounds like you don't know what competetion is like in the pallet biz. If you do get in, make sure your money bag has no holes or the nickels will fall out. If you were in my area all I could say is "bring it on"
Post #: 16
RE: market - 7/27/2006 6:53:34 AM   
Big Dog

To all the "little dawgs"....we all start out as puppies and with a little food and nourishment, and some training, and guidance, we can all grow up to be a productive "big dawg".  Please do not misunderstand me, I am not trying to keep you from getting into the kennel with the larger animals.  Just trying to give you a heads up.  Starting a business is difficult in itself.  Just make sure you understand the market, and it's capacity to allow for another player.  If you are not careful you will find yourself as a stray.If you are lucky, you will find yourself at the humane society and either get adopted by some good caring people, or just put to sleep..humanely of course...I love animals.
Post #: 17
RE: market - 7/27/2006 4:21:51 PM   
jewel

big dog,us little dogs have to build the pallets,that you do not want to build.I put a bid,at a company.45/72 .I can make a profit.  
Post #: 18
RE: market - 7/28/2006 6:50:26 AM   
Rude Dude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big Dog

To all the "little dawgs"....we all start out as puppies and with a little food and nourishment, and some training, and guidance, we can all grow up to be a productive "big dawg".  Please do not misunderstand me, I am not trying to keep you from getting into the kennel with the larger animals.  Just trying to give you a heads up.  Starting a business is difficult in itself.  Just make sure you understand the market, and it's capacity to allow for another player.  If you are not careful you will find yourself as a stray.If you are lucky, you will find yourself at the humane society and either get adopted by some good caring people, or just put to sleep..humanely of course...I love animals.

That's where I'm coming from. I couldn't care less if another pup enters the market. They come and go. I like to see the little ones grow into respectable companies. That means they are properly taking care of business. My gripe is that there are too many that know nothing when they get in, don't have a clue about their actual costs, try to sell on price only, sell way too cheap, screw up the market, die an awful death, leaving their slice of the market with unrealistic price expectations and giving the companies left to pick up the pieces a black eye to boot.

So when Jr. comes on here talking about starting a pallet company while in the same sentence admitting that he doesn't know jack it makes me feel even ruder than normal.

That would be like me looking at an airplane and reasoning that it is only steel, nuts and bolts and thinking I should start an airline.

Jewel and SP... I'm glad your business is growing. You must be doing something right.
Post #: 19
RE: market - 7/28/2006 8:07:47 AM   
Big Dog

Rude Dude,  looks like you and I are on the same page.  I agree with your comments, I applaud anybody who can grow their business and become respected in " this " industry.  That in itself is a major challenge.

SP, Thanks for your comments, however you have me mistaken for someone else.  Been there and done all of that.  Made the New Pallets, with hammer in hand, Viking Champion, Duo Matic, Bronco, Pallet Chief just to name a few, and not to mention this was spread around the country, so I know what I am talking about.  As for the Recycled, done that too.  I respect all who enter the industry and make a profit, and become a good competitor for all.  I just don't understand people coming on the board asking how to start a company with those already established, and working their *** off to make ends meet and expect a "honest" answer.  If you have a buddy in the industry, ask him, he or she will give you the answers you are looking for.

By the way, hope you have rebounded from the loss of electricity in your city of St. Louis this past week.  Keep making them pallets and good luck in your market!
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [PalletBoard Forums] >> PalletBoard - Main Forum >> How do i start a Pallet business? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode