Forums    Register    Login    My Profile    Inbox   Address Book    My Subscription    My Forums  Features  
Member List    Search      FAQ    Ticket List    Terms of Use   Anonymity   Privacy Policy   Log Out    IRI Site Map

New Pallet Business

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PalletBoard Forums] >> PalletBoard - Main Forum >> New Pallet Business Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Pallet Business - 1/9/2009 11:34:10 AM   
bobspallets

I am just starting my business of recycling pallets, and I would like to know where is the best type of business to go visit to get started. Including, recommendations on how to start. What are the prices that are being paid for pallets. What type of equiptment do I need. I presently have an 18 foot trailer, and a pickup truck.
Post #: 1
RE: New Pallet Business - 1/9/2009 8:41:29 PM   
Adam

It may have been better to have the answers to these questions before you started your company.  Pallet business is tough right now and won't get better any time soon.

I suggest that you take them to the closest and best established pallet recycler and get cash or a check upon delivery.  Save yourself the headache of doing the repair work and sales work.  After all expenses you would be doing good to make $0.25 per pallet.
Post #: 2
RE: New Pallet Business - 1/10/2009 5:01:12 AM   
bobspallets

Thanks for the info, but I was wondering WHY is it bad right now
Post #: 3
RE: New Pallet Business - 1/10/2009 5:19:27 PM   
Thoughtful

I'm stunned!

T
Post #: 4
RE: New Pallet Business - 1/11/2009 6:15:21 PM   
PalletManVA

In case you did not know the economy is bad right now and a lot of product is shipped on these wooden things called PALLETS.  So the business is bad right now.

I am not surprised!!!
Post #: 5
RE: New Pallet Business - 1/11/2009 6:40:53 PM   
Road House

You need to get some boards, a hammer, and some nails, to go along with that big trucking company you have there. 
Post #: 6
RE: New Pallet Business - 1/12/2009 6:43:12 AM   
chaille

Hi Bob,

The pallet industry is directly impacted by the economy due to the fact that pallets are a derived demand product connected directly with the move of goods both consumer and industrial products. Some parts of the country are realling suffering. Others are doing okay. None of the sectors are booming.

While the golden age of pallet recycling has pretty much come and gone, it is still possible to make money in the pallet industry. But it is getting harder. You either have to be really small, efficient and nimble or you have to reach the size to serve large customers. Our staff would be more than happy to take a few minutes to discuss your market. We publish the only market report for the industry. We can be reached at 804-550-0323.

Here's a few articles on starting a pallet company:
http://www.palletenterprise.com/articledatabase/view.asp?articleID=1445

http://www.palletenterprise.com/articledatabase/view.asp?articleID=1446

As far as equipment you need, check out the Pallet Enterprise. You will need some nail guns, nails, a pallet dismantler or two. You might also need some repair tables, forklifts, pallet platers/plates, conveyors, etc. It all depends on the operation you plan to build. I would call some reputable suppliers and see what equipment they have to offer.

You need to do your research because you can lose a lot of money if you aren't careful. The biggest thing is getting the customers...especially in this market. Do you have several strong customers lined up? Do you have steady supply of cores?  

You might make decent money by simply selling your pallets to an established recycler. It all depends on where you are located, what your experience level is, etc. It would be wise to hire some experienced staff if you are new to recycling.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Chaille Brindley, assistant publisher  

Post #: 7
RE: New Pallet Business - 1/12/2009 8:30:24 AM   
Gulo

Bob, 

If you really want to know how it's done, you get a some of the local boys to supply you with the best stuff and peddle it.

This article tells you exactly how to make the most money with the most risk. . .  Pallet Manufacturing in Keyser VA.

Post #: 8
RE: New Pallet Business - 1/12/2009 8:50:10 AM   
Small time guy

Assuming you are starting out the way most of us did, you ran across some pallets that somebody wanted to get rid of and want to turn them into $$.  No shame in it.  It is a rough time to get started that way though, both because of the economy and because, as Chaille said, the golden age of pallet recycling has come and gone.  I would suggest that you do one of two things to get established.  Adam's advice was very good.  Get some cores (48 x 40 repairable pallets) and sell them to an established pallet recycler near you.  That gets you two things, cash up front for the pallets and a potential friend in the business that could help you as long as you don't get greedy.  As your experience, and core suppliers increases, you could look into doing your own repair work and building your business.  The other route you could go is to try to establish relationships with companies and become a repair and return service company for them.  This gets you in the door to customers, plus allows you to grow slowly and develop your business from the ground up.  The downside is you'll probably be cashless for about two or three months.

Good luck with it, although I do hope you aren't in my neck of the woods.  I've got enough competition to deal with... :)

Post #: 9
RE: New Pallet Business - 1/12/2009 1:16:37 PM   
Sincerely Interested

"the golden age of pallet recycling has come and gone..."

Shame on you, Chaille.  This is not the kind of perspective that fosters innovative thinking and motivation.  We can do better than this! 
Post #: 10
RE: New Pallet Business - 1/13/2009 6:24:15 AM   
tebean

Judging that I haven't had many replies from my posts i may not have any business replying to this but anyway, we have 2-3000 recycled pallets that we bring in daily. We are not a pallet company by any means but by occupation we come across a tremendous amount of pallets and turn down as many as 1000 per week as well. We use 750 per week in distribution and sell the rest by the TL and some odd lots to local suppliers. We also have our own fleet and logistics so if i can help please let me know.

thomasebean@alltel.blackberry.com
tebean@hickorysprings.com
Post #: 11
RE: New Pallet Business - 9/23/2012 8:34:25 PM   
SoDakPallets

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobspallets

I am just starting my business of recycling pallets, and I would like to know where is the best type of business to go visit to get started. Including, recommendations on how to start. What are the prices that are being paid for pallets. What type of equiptment do I need. I presently have an 18 foot trailer, and a pickup truck.

I'm new here and I know this thread is a couple years old but don't let these nay sayers get you down. In my neck of the woods the pallet business is booming. There's places I go to that give me the pallets for free and there's some places that want $2 a piece and these pallets require no reconditining as they are in perfect shape. So I get them for free or pay $2 and then resell them for $5.75 each and all I have invested is my time, every pallet I pickup is on my way to or from somewhere with either the pickup or the truck so I never go out of my way for them so the cost of fuel is not an issue and I already have the equipment to haul them (upto 500 at a time). Also, the local lumber yard/truss plant gives me all there scrap wood for free to use for fixing/making pallets. While the pallet deal isn't my full time business I still clear $750 a week doing it by my self on the days I don't have to truck and on weekends. So do your best, don't get discuraged and see what happens, there is money to be made doing this.
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PalletBoard Forums] >> PalletBoard - Main Forum >> New Pallet Business Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode